Prevent is a government strategy designed to stop people becoming terrorists or supporting terrorist or extremist causes. It covers all types of terrorism and extremism, including violent groups and other causes.
- Radicalisation refers to the process by which a person comes to support terrorism and extremist ideologies associated with terrorist groups.
- Extremism is the vocal or active opposition to our fundamental values, including democracy, the rule of law, individual liberty, and the mutual respect of tolerance of different faiths and beliefs (British Values).
SIGNS to look out for
- Isolation from friends/family
- Talking as if from a scripted speech
- Unwillingness or ability to discuss their views
- A sudden disrespectful attitude towards others
- Low self esteem
- Increased level of anger
- Increased secretiveness, especially around internet use
Longthorpe School is committed to carrying out the Prevent strategy to ensure that our children are protected from radicalisation and extremism in all forms. Through our carefully planned curriculum and the care provided by our trained staff, we endeavour to recognise when a child may be at risk and to educate our children to protect themselves from harm. Teaching & Learning includes:
- Exploring other cultures and religions and promoting diversity
- Challeging prejudices and racist comments
- Developing critical thinking skills and a strong positive self-identity
- Promoting the spiritual, moral, social and cultural development of pupils.
It might be nothing. It might be something. Talk to us.
If you have concerns, please contact Mrs Ryder & Mis Bryan (Prevent Lead & Safeguarding Lead).